Town hall on the market square
Karlsruhe City Hall was completed in 1825 according to plans by Friedrich Weinbrenner. Together with the Protestant City Church, the classicist building dominates the market square. Its balcony is also famous, as it was from here that the republic was proclaimed in 1849.
In 1825, 20 years after construction began, Karlsruhe's town hall was completed according to plans by Friedrich Weinbrenner. The two large neoclassical buildings facing each other, the Protestant town church and the town hall, significantly define the overall impression of the market square.
The result was a three-storey building with three inner courtyards. Originally, the building was also used for the town's economy, housing the meat bank, the grain and flour hall and the salt hall. Rooms in the tower were used as a prison. After the town hall was destroyed in the Second World War, the historic market square wing was restored and the interior of the building was redesigned.
The Republic was proclaimed from the balcony of the town hall on May 14, 1849.
Contact us
Address
Karl-Friedrich-Str. 10
76124 Karlsruhe